Try this gluten-free Toasted Macaroons recipe from our Master Chef at your next gathering. Not only do they taste great, they work well, too.
1 (14-ounce) package sweetened shredded coconut
3 large egg whites, room temperature
1/2 cup Sweet Amber
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the coconut evenly on the baking sheet. Toast coconut for 5-10 minutes, stirring every so often to ensure even color, until light golden brown. Let cool.
- Weigh the bowl that you will be using to hold the finished batter and write this number down. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites, Sweet Amber, and vanilla and almond extracts on high speed until the mixture becomes glossy, thick, and holds soft peaks. Fold in the toasted coconut.
- Weigh the batter, subtract the weight of the bowl, and divide by 24: This is your per-cookie weight. Place a small piece of parchment paper on your scale. Weigh out batter for each cookie and place on prepared baking sheet, spacing them 1 inch apart. Bake for 15-20 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through, until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Toasted Macaroons will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or you can freeze them for up to 3 months.